Nokia PC Suite 6.7 – The operation could not be completed irritation.
After finally having a major need to get Nokia PC Suite running on my home system in order to send SMS text messages I had to make a concerted effort to fix a problem that has been plaguing me since Nokia PC Suite version 6.5 was released.
Nokia have been promising that I can now send text messages with my 6680 but two versions later and I’m still looking at a bug ridden pile of cack that Nokia try to pass off as a working application. All I want to do is send a text message – jees even Microsoft know how to do it using their Microsoft Outlook 2003 SMS Addin, or MOSA as it’s known. They basically use AT commands to communicate with the phone through its modem interface – admittedly it needs software to be installed that makes the computer see the modem interface (yes, yes, PC Suite, I know). That’s all well and good but it’s not the modem drivers that don’t work, it’s the bloody software.
Further investigation of my problem unearthed a rather simple fix – one which seems to suggest a problem with a DLL registration disappearing up its own butt. I know some people will arrive at this page looking for the answer to your connectivity problems with Nokia PC Suite so I’ll put you out of your misery now. Just run this and click OK
The problem I was having was quite simply that PC Suite wouldn’t do half the stuff it was/is supposed to do. Every time I installed PC Suite, especially this latest version (6.7) , I would be run through the initial “Get Connected” wizard. The wizard would run without any issue at all but at the end it assured me that some kind of installation of a support application was supposed to happen on my 6680 and that I should answer Yes to all questions asked of me.
Well, no matter how long I waited, nothing ever appeared on my phone and after clicking to complete the Get Connected wizard nothing happened either.
Attempting to use the Messages application inside PC Suite gave me two concurrent catastrophic errors:
The operation could not be completed.
Clicking OK to each of them got me nothing. No messages, nada.
Anyway, as I was saying, after a brief butchers on the ‘net I came across my solution and simply put, all you have to do is:
- Open a command prompt by clicking Start > Run.
- Type in cmd and press [Enter]
- Type in RegSvr32.exe %windir%\system32\ole32.dll and press [Enter]
This fixed me up straight away and I didn’t even need a reboot, just trying to run the messages application prompted me to install the support application and once that was done I was one my way – problem solved!